The World’s Oxygen – level 1
The Amazon rainforests are on fire at the moment. This worries people. They believe that the Amazon rainforest makes 20% of the world’s oxygen.
They think this because there are so many plants which make oxygen there. However, there are also a lot of other organisms in the rainforests. These organisms eat the dead plants and breathe the oxygen. Rainforests make a lot of oxygen. They also use a lot of it. Most of the world’s oxygen comes from the oceans.
Also, experts are saying that the fires are bad. However, people destroy more trees than the fires. Satellite pictures show this.
Difficult words: oxygen (the gas in the air that we need to breathe), organism (a small living thing – a very small “animal”).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos