Thieves Steal from Senate – level 1
In Nigeria, something unusual happens. It happens in the country’s senate. Thieves come into a room. They take a ceremonial mace. It is a symbol of authority. The security officers cannot stop them.
However, people bring the mace back later on. They do not know why the thieves do this.
Difficult words: senate (a part of the government), ceremonial mace (a weapon from the past that Nigerian leaders use as part of a ceremony), symbol of authority (a thing that shows that you are a leader), security officer (someone who keeps a place safe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.