Thousands of animals stuck on a ship – level 1
A big ship with 16,000 sheep and cows is going to Israel. But it must turn back. It is too dangerous. Yemen’s Houthis may attack the ship.
Now, the ship is stuck in Australia because of the hot weather. The people who send the animals want to unload some of them. Another ship with 60,000 animals is going to Jordan. If it cannot go through the Red Sea, it may stop in the Gulf.
Australian officials must decide what to do with the first ship. Some people are worried. Animals suffer on the ship. Millions of animals travel by ships around the world.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What factors should Australian officials consider when making a decision about the first ship carrying 16,000 animals that is stuck in Australia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.