Thousands of penguins die – level 1
Melting ice in Antarctica kills baby penguins.
Satellite pictures show no ice in December. It is a big problem for penguins. Penguins usually hatch eggs on ice which melts in summer. It means that they have no place to breed. When the ice melts, around 9,000 baby penguins die. They have no place to have babies. 13 colonies of penguins die.
Climate change makes this problem worse. Almost 30% of penguins have no home last year. Last year is the worst in history.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What effect does melting ice have on the environment in Antarctica?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.