Three Kings’ Day – level 3
Epiphany, or Three Kings’ Day, is the 12th day of Christmas, and on January 6th, it marks the official end to the festive season for many Christians.
The spiritual leader of Orthodox Christians led a ceremony in Istanbul where men jumped into water to retrieve a wooden cross that was tossed in by the Patriarch.
The ceremony is called the Blessing of the Water. It symbolises the baptism of Jesus and it dates back over 1,000 years to the time of the Byzantine Empire.
The Patriarch awarded a necklace to the first man to grab the cross. A similar ceremony also happened in Athens.
Difficult words: Orthodox Christians (Christians mainly in Greece and Russia who do not accept the authority of the Pope), Patriarch (the name for the leader of Orthodox Christians), toss (throw).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos