Tiger Temple in Thailand – level 3
A temple in Thailand that is popular with tourists is home to 137 tigers. Police investigated it for suspected links to wildlife trafficking as well as accusations of illegal breeding.
Officials have removed some tigers from the temple and did not extend the temple’s zoo license. They moved the seized tigers to conservation centres. Some volunteers at the temple think that uprooting the animals is traumatic to them.
Difficult words: trafficking (moving something from one country to another illegally), accusation (saying that somebody does something illegal), breeding (the raising of animals), seize (to take by force), volunteer (a person who does something without being paid), uprooting (taking away).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think should happen to the Tiger Temple?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.