Tokyo micro-apartments – level 1
Tokyo is the capital of Japan. Life in Tokyo is not cheap.
Young people do not have enough money. They have their first job. Sometimes they come from small towns. They cannot rent a big apartment. They live in so-called micro-apartments. A micro-apartment is a very small apartment. It has just nine square meters. It is very simple. There are not many things.
The monthly rent is between 380 and 610 dollars. The rent depends on where in Tokyo the apartment is. Young people prefer micro-apartments because they do not need to pay any deposit to the landlord.
Difficult words: rent (to pay someone for the use of something, usually a car or apartment), deposit (money which someone pays as security), landlord (a person who has a building or apartment and someone else pays him or her for using it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the challenges young people face when living in a micro-apartment in Tokyo?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos