Tonnes of dead fish – level 1
This happens in Mexico. Thousands of fish die in a lagoon. People remove 50 tonnes of fish in two days.
People try to understand what happened. They are checking local wastewater treatment plants. The fish probably died of high pollution, but everybody says something different. Some people say this was a natural phenomenon. Others say the water was polluted.
Difficult words: wastewater treatment plants (building which cleans water), pollution (something polluted is dangerously dirty), phenomenon (something which happen in nature).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why do you think the fish died?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos