Too many Florida mosquitoes – level 1
Hurricane Ian hits Florida in September. It leaves many places wet. These places are perfect for mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes don’t lay eggs in lakes or ponds. Fish are there. They eat the eggs. Mosquitoes lay eggs in places without fish. Many places have water in Florida now.
Many places also have mosquitoes now. A special team tries to solve the problem. They monitor new wet places. They kill mosquitoes from planes.
Officers ask people for help. People put garbage in the streets. Water can stay in things such as toilets or sinks. People need to be careful They need to set the garbage so water falls out.
Difficult words: mosquito (a small insect or bug which bites people, and it drinks their blood), monitor (to watch and check something), garbage (things which people throw away).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos