Too many mice in Australia – level 1
Australia has problems with weather. It does not rain for a long time in some parts of Australia. Wildfires destroy forests and homes, too. Floods are in other places.
Now, one more problem is in New South Wales. There are too many mice. The mice destroy crops. Farmers do not know what to do.
The government has a plan. The government buys a chemical from India. The chemical is very dangerous. It is not legal in Australia. The government must change the law. Then, farmers can use the chemical.
Some people are not happy. They say that the chemical will kill other animals, too.
Difficult words: wildfire (a large fire which starts to burn strongly in nature, and it is not easy to stop it), flood (when water gets to people’s homes), crop (a plant which farmers grow).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos