Too Much Sugar in Bread – level 1
Subway is a US restaurant chain. It sells mainly sandwiches and salads. Subway has more than 41,000 restaurants in all of the world.
Subway has a problem in Ireland. A court decides that Subway’s bread contains too much sugar. Bread must have less than 2% of sugar of the amount of flour in it. Subway’s bread has 10% of sugar. It belongs to the same group of food as cookies. A piece of Subway’s white bread has as much sugar as one Oreo cookie.
Subway has problems in the US in 2018. The restaurant chain must close down more than 1,000 restaurants. People want healthier food. However, Subway does not change the food. Many people start to go to other restaurants.
Difficult words: restaurant chain (when one restaurant is in many different places), contain (to have something inside), flour (a white or brown powder that we use to make bread and cakes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos