Toxic Water in Fukushima – level 1
There is a nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan. An earthquake hits the plant in 2011. There is a tsunami, too. Both of these are big problems.
Toxic water is coming out of the power plant. People are keeping it in big tanks. There are 1,000 large tanks right now. They hold more than 1 million tons of water.
However, there is going to be more and more toxic water. People want to build more tanks. There will be no room for new tanks by 2022.
People are thinking about what to do. Some experts say that they can let the water out into the ocean. Other people do not like this idea.
Difficult words: nuclear power plant (a “factory” which makes electricity by breaking atoms – very small things), tank (a “box” which can hold water), will (in the future).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos