Train in South Africa – level 1
A train crashes into a truck. The train then derails. Twelve people die. Another 260 people are injured.
Emergency services come to the scene. They put out a fire from the train. They evacuate the passengers.
People say that the truck driver runs away from the scene.
Difficult words: derail (come off of the train tracks), scene (the place where something happens), evacuate (move from danger to safety).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos