Tropical storm in Bangladesh – level 3
A severe storm sweeping across Bangladesh has killed at least 24 people and injured dozens more.
Bogra District, in the northern part of the country, 228 kilometres from capital Dhaka, was worst hit, as the tropical storm ripped through the region overnight, leaving a trail of destruction.
According to police and officials, women and children were among the dead, who included some victims in Dhaka, and more than 50 people were injured and admitted to hospitals around the country. Bogra’s Chief District Administrator told reporters the storm killed at least 14 people alone in his district.
Several houses were damaged while trees were uprooted, he said, adding the power supply had been cut off for several hours.
Victims died after they were buried under collapsed houses and trees, while some were electrocuted by electrical wires from fallen poles.
Weather officials have said this was the first severe storm of the usual spring storm season following a weather pattern that develops in the Bay of Bengal during the summer.
Difficult words: severe (great), sweep (to move quickly), dozens (a lot), official (somebody in a position of authority), electrocute (to kill by electricity), pole (a long, thin thing which carries electricity on top), weather pattern (a type of weather which happens every year).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.