Trump loses in Iowa – level 2
The Republican and Democratic parties in the USA are choosing their presidential candidates. The Republicans must choose between Donald Trump, a real estate billionaire, and Ted Cruz, a Texas senator. The Democrats must choose between Hillary Clinton, a senator from New York, and Bernie Sanders, a senator from Vermont.
There was a caucus in Iowa, which is a state in the American Midwest. People thought that the Republicans would choose Trump, but the party members chose Ted Cruz.
Donald Trump and his supporters, however, stayed optimistic. Another caucus will be in New Hampshire, which is a small New England state.
Difficult words: real estate (the property of lands and buildings), caucus (a meeting of a political party which chooses a candidate), supporter (a person who supports – agrees and/or helps somebody).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Which candidate do you like?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.