Tsunami in Indonesia – level 3
The eruption of Anak Krakatau, a volcanic island in Indonesia, triggered an underwater landslide which then caused a tsunami.
At least 420 people are confirmed dead, 154 people reported missing, and 1,400 people injured after the tsunami hit on Saturday 22nd. More than 16,000 people were displaced and over 800 homes were destroyed.
People have been warned that even more tsunamis could soon strike because of the undersea volcano’s high activity.
Difficult words: trigger (cause, make happen), confirm (prove that something is true), displace (forced to leave because of danger or destruction).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos