Turkey fault line – level 1
Several strong earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria last week. The strongest two earthquakes have a magnitude 7.8 and 7.5.
The ground cracks. The crack is called a fault line. The fault line in Turkey is more than 440 kilometers long. In some places, it is up to 6 meters wide. The whole country moves. The fault line goes through hills, fields and towns, too. It destroys roads, bridges and buildings.
More than 22,000 people die in the earthquakes. Rescuers are still looking for many people. Thousands of people are in the rubble.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the magnitude of the strongest earthquake?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.