Turtles are saved – level 2
More than 4,000 Philippine forest turtles were found in a warehouse in the Philippines. They were stuffed inside boxes when an animal conservation group saved them.
They were kept in very poor conditions – at least 90 turtles were dead and a thousand had to be helped at a nature park. The turtles were awaiting a shipment abroad, probably to China for the pet trade, the food trade, and traditional Chinese medicine.
The turtles can sell for at least £200 on the underground market in China. Some illegal traders are able to sell them to western countries for as much as £1,500.
Difficult words: warehouse (a building where you keep many things), animal conservation group (a group of people who help animals), shipment (the action of shipping something – transporting things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these turtles?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos