Turtles on the beach – level 2
“Arribada” means “arrival by sea” in Spanish, and it is a wildlife phenomenon. Every year, thousands of turtles arrive on a beach in Costa Rica to nest and lay their eggs in the sand. Hundreds of people came to the beach to look at the turtles.
Sadly, some people stood in the way of the turtles and made them return to the sea without laying their eggs. Some tourists even touched the turtles, sat on their nests, took pictures with flash cameras, and even placed children on top of the turtles to take photos.
Difficult words: phenomenon (something special which happens in nature), nest (to build a nest – a safe place for laying eggs).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the tourists?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.