Typhoon in Japan – level 1
A typhoon hits Japan. Life stops in many parts of Japan. The typhoon hits Tokyo. One person dies.
Thousands of homes have no electricity. Planes cannot fly. The winds blow up to 90 miles per hour (145 kph).
Last month a volcano erupted in Japan. More than 51 people died. People still look for the survivors, but they have to stop because of the typhoon. Heavy rain is coming. They await up to 16 inches (40 cm) of rain.
Difficult words: volcano (mountain which can sometimes explode), erupt (explode), survivor (person who lives after something very bad happens).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is there sometimes such an extreme weather like this in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.