Uber Cuts Jobs – level 1
The company Uber has problems with its jobs. They reduce the number of people who work there. Uber´s spokesperson says to CNN that this is true. A lot of people must leave the company.
On Monday, 350 people get an email from Uber´s CEO. In this email, the CEO informs them about the bad situation. This news affects many people. About one percent of all people in the company must leave their jobs.
In September, 435 people leave the company. In August, 400 more people leave.
Difficult words: reduce (make a smaller number), spokesperson (a man or a woman who works in a company and communicates with media), CEO (a person in a company with the highest position), affect (make something happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.