UK farmers have problems – level 2
Farmers in the UK are having big problems as a result of the growing prices of energy.
Tony Montalbano and his family grew cucumbers in England for many years, and they supplied big supermarkets. They never had such problems until now. They grew plants in 30,000 square meters of greenhouses, but now, the greenhouses are empty. The company is saving money if it doesn’t heat its greenhouses. It means that it’s too cold for the plants to grow.
Last year, it cost 25 pence to grow one cucumber. Now, the price almost doubled, and experts say that it could soon be as high as 70 pence. Also, the prices of fertilizer and employees are growing, too. Other farmers who grow plants like peppers and tomatoes are having the same problems.
Difficult words: supply (to give a large amount of something to people or companies who want to buy it), greenhouse (a special building where people grow plants), fertilizer (a substance which farmers put in the soil to make plants grow better).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.