UK is leaving the EU – level 1
The UK is in the European Union. Some people want to leave the EU. Some people want to stay. There is a referendum on this.
There are 64 million people in the UK. 33.5 million vote. 16.1 people want to stay in the EU. 17.3 want to leave the EU.
The vote shows that more people want to leave.
Difficult words: stay (remain somewhere), referendum (when people vote for or against something), vote (put a piece of paper in a box to say if you want or do not want something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.