UK Leaves EU – level 1
Last Friday, the UK officially leaves the EU. The negotiations to do this are a lot of work. They take three and a half years. Three UK prime ministers try to do this. There are three deadline extensions to make this happen.
Britain is going to have an 11-month transition period to leave the EU. The UK is still going to follow EU laws. However, UK leaders are going to leave the EU government.
Then the UK is going to make laws to leave the EU. The UK can have more time if it talks to the EU. It can have a deadline extension of up to two years.
Difficult words: negotiation (when people talk to one another to try to agree), deadline extension (let something finish later than you plan), transition period (a time when things change slowly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos