UK rail strike – level 1
UK rail workers are not happy. They want better pay. Rail companies negotiate with the government. Sadly, the result is not good.
Almost 40,000 workers strike last Tuesday. Many trains don’t run. Millions of people can’t travel anywhere. Only about 20% of trains run.
The worst situation is in Scotland and Wales. 10,000 workers of London Underground are on strike, too. Workers plan two more strikes on Thursday and Sunday.
The UK is going through difficult times after the Coronavirus. The UK leader says that the strikes make the situation worse.
Difficult words: rail (trains), negotiate (to discuss and make a deal), strike (to stop work because you aren’t happy about work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos