Ukraine dam collapses – level 1
A dam in Ukraine collapses. The dam is in an area which Russia controls.
People are leaving their homes. They are afraid of the water. 40,000 people need to leave. The President of Ukraine says that Russia breaks the dam. Russia says that it is not true. The dam gives water to farmers, people, and a nuclear power plant. Videos show lots of water coming out of the broken dam. Ukraine must evacuate 17,000 people and Russia 25,000 people.
People are worried about the nuclear power plant. But it is okay at the moment. World leaders are unhappy about the incident.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What potential long-term consequences could result from the collapse of the dam?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.