Undersea nuclear drone – level 2
Last week, North Korea tested its latest weapon which it developed in 2012.
The weapon is an underwater drone, and when it explodes underwater it makes huge radioactive waves. These waves can hit ships and destroy coastal cities. The drone can attack any port in South Korea and even Yokosuka Port in Japan where the US warships are. Besides the drones, North Korea launched other missiles during the test. Experts said that the country wanted to show that it had many different nuclear weapons which it could use against enemies.
The test was probably an answer to an 11-day military exercise between the US and South Korea which just finished.
Difficult words: radioactive (producing powerful and dangerous energy which comes from breaking up small things called atoms), missile (a weapon which travels through the air and explodes when it hits the target), enemy (someone who dislikes or fights with another person, country and so on).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What implications could the North Korean test have on international relations?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos