Update on Costa Concordia – level 1
The Costa Concordia is a boat. It is big. It weighs 114,500 tonnes. It is two times bigger than the Titanic.
It had an accident 2.5 years ago. Thirty-two people died. Now, people move the ship. The operation costs 2 billion dollars.
People film the operation. It starts in the morning and ends in the evening. People move the ship to a port. They will take it apart there. They will reuse the metal.
Difficult words: weigh (be heavy), cost (have a price), port (place where ships stop), reuse (use something for something else).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How would you punish the captain?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.