US companies to make chips – level 1
In August last year, the US government passes a law. This law is called the CHIPS Act. It helps companies which produce semiconductors.
Companies can ask for a subsidy. A subsidy is money which a government pays to help an industry or business. The CHIPS Act offers 39 billion dollars to tech companies. The reason is that the US wants to make its own chips. Now, the world depends on chips from Taiwan. The US wants to be better than China. The country needs to become independent of Taiwan.
Companies which want the subsidy must follow some rules. They will share a part of their profit. They must offer childcare to their employees.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of the CHIPS Act? Why?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.