US dollars in Zimbabwe – level 2
Zimbabwe uses two currencies: the US dollar and the Zimbabwean dollar. The government reintroduced the Zimbabwean dollar in 2019, but many people prefer to use the US dollar.
US dollars aren’t easy to find, but people found a solution. They buy old and torn notes which they can’t use in shops. They fix the notes and sell them on the black market.
Officials say that people should take these notes to banks because they must accept them and change them for new notes. Many people don’t believe the banks. They lost all their money because of the government’s financial problems, and they prefer to sell their money on the black market.
Difficult words: currency (the money of a country), torn (to pull someone in two parts), black market (illegally buy and sell things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the black market in Zimbabwe?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos