US Senator does not want to step down – level 1
Senator Bob Menendez works in New Jersey. He has a problem. Some people say he does something wrong. But he says that it is not true.
Menendez has lots of money at home, 480,000 dollars. He says that it is for emergencies. He takes out the money for 30 years. He does it because his family in Cuba has problems. Many people do not believe this story. Officers find other things in the man’s home, for example, gold bars and a fancy car.
Menendez says that some people make an opinion about him too quickly. He is Latino. His parents are from Cuba. But he is born in New York. He does not want to quit his job.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What motivates Senator Bob Menendez to take out 480,000 dollars and put it in his home?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.