USA and Cuba – level 3
Arriving in Havana today, US Secretary of State John Kerry became the first chief of American diplomacy to visit Cuba in 70 years. And this is why he was here. For the first time since 1961, the American flag was raised at Cuba’s US embassy, ushering in a new era in relations between the two cold-war enemies.
“My friends, we are gathered here today because our leaders, President Obama and President Castro, made a courageous decision to stop being the prisoners of history and to focus on the opportunities of today and tomorrow. This doesn’t mean that we should or will forget the past. How could we, after all?”
Three retired Marines who last lowered the flag 54 years ago participated in the ceremony at the newly re-opened embassy on the Havana seafront and on the streets of the city, locals and tourists celebrated the changing times.
Today’s events took place nearly four weeks after the United States and Cuba formally renewed diplomatic relations and upgraded their diplomatic missions to embassies.
Difficult words: chief (a leader), usher in (to cause the start of something new), era (a period of time) gather (to come together).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.