Venezuelans vote over land in Guyana – level 2
Last weekend, Venezuelans voted in a referendum backed by President Nicolas Maduro.
The referendum was about a problem with Guyana. The Essequibo River territory is in Guyana, near the border with Venezuela, and Venezuela wants it back. Some people believe that the area is rich in oil. Guyana requested to stop the referendum, but the International Court of Justice didn’t forbid it and asked both countries not to make the situation even worse.
Experts believe that Maduro is using the referendum to test his strength before the 2024 presidential elections, and they expect it to pass because there is no strong opposition. Voters hope to get the territory back.
Difficult words: referendum (when people vote about a specific case), request (to ask someone to do something), opposition (a group of people in a government who have different ideas from the main party).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What could be the potential repercussions of the referendum on Venezuela's relationship with Guyana?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.