Venice’s flood safety – level 1
Venice is a city in Italy. It is in a lagoon. The tide gets high. Then floods happen in the city. In 1984, engineers start a project. They want to keep the city safe. They make a dam.
The dam has 78 gates. The gates rise from the sea. They stop the water. People take almost 40 years to finish the project. Many problems happen.
Many floods happen in Venice in the past. In 2019, a very big flood destroys parts of the city. In October 2020, the dam opens. Since then, it keeps Venice safe.
Difficult words: lagoon (a shallow area of sea), tide (the rise and fall of the seawater), dam (a wall which stops water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos