Veterans throw away their medals – level 2
Veterans for Peace is an organisation of 169 members. The group disagrees with the decision of the British parliament to bomb Syria, and it organised a protest.
The soldiers talked about their experience in the army, and then threw away their medals. One veteran said that he had to blow a hole in a building without knowing what was on the other side. He started asking “what if” – what if there’s a child, what if there’s a family…
The group’s spokesperson said that it was an emotional moment for the ex-soldiers, and that veterans do not throw away their medals lightly.
Difficult words: decision (when a person or people agree to do something), experience (something that happened to you in the past), spokesperson (somebody who speaks for an organisation).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what the veterans did?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos