Video of a fascist salute shocks Europe – level 2
People in Italy and other European countries were in shock after they saw a video in which hundreds gave fascist salutes. Giving this salute is illegal.
The event happened at a Rome rally near the former headquarters of a neo-fascist party. The event remembered the so-called Acca Larentia killings, killing neo-fascist young people in 1978. People criticize the fact that there was no police action, and the government must explain this. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni faces calls to dissolve such groups. European Jewish organizations are strongly against such events.
Experts say that some right-wing groups in Italy support fascist ideas and they criticize Meloni’s government for connections with neo-fascist groups.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What criticisms have been made against the Italian government regarding their handling of recent neo-fascist events and what actions, if any, are being called for by European Jewish organizations?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.