Video of Southern Lights – level 2
Just like the northern hemisphere’s Northern Lights, the southern hemisphere has the Southern Lights that also appear at night and also are called auroras.
Auroras happen when particles in the earth’s atmosphere hit with particles coming from the sun’s atmosphere. You can see the amazing auroras all year but the best time to see them is during the spring and autumn equinoxes.
A camera recently filmed the big bands of colours passing over New Zealand. People also saw the Southern Lights in Australia, America and Europe.
Difficult words: aurora (a large and wide line of coloured light in the sky), particle (a little piece of energy), the spring and autumn equinoxes (the days exactly in the middle of spring and autumn).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Have you seen the Southern or Northern Lights?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos