Virginia Protest – level 1
Richmond is the capital city of Virginia, USA. On January 20, there is going to be a protest in Richmond.
About 50,000 people are going to meet. They are going to protest against a new gun law. Organizers ask protestors to stay calm. However, officials expect some problems.
Before the protests, the Virginia governor declares a state of emergency in Richmond. People in Richmond cannot carry guns from Friday until Tuesday.
In 2017, a man drives his car into a group of protesters in another Virginia town. Officials worry that something bad can happen again. They must do all that they can to keep the protest peaceful.
Difficult words: protest (a public event when many people meet to show that they do not agree with something), declare a state of emergency (to formally say there is a situation of danger when the police have more power), peaceful (quiet and calm).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.