Virtual power plant – level 1
Experts want to solve the energy crisis. Virtual power plants could be a clean way to stop blackouts. A blackout is when city or country doesn’t have enough electricity. Blackouts happen more often. People need too much energy.
Virtual power plants use modern software. This software sees if enough electricity is in the grid. If not, the software can turn off or reduce power to things. They can be heaters or electric cars.
Virtual power plants already work well in Germany and Australia. Experts hope that they will become popular in the United States, too.
Difficult words: virtual (only in a computer), grid (a network of cables which distribute electricity), reduce (to make something smaller or less in amount).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos