Vladimir Putin plays ice hockey – level 2
Russian President Vladimir Putin played ice hockey in Sochi. It was a friendly game with no winners or losers. It was a show and everybody enjoyed it.
Players of the game were former professionals or amateurs like Putin. The League was created by Putin in 2011. Thanks to the League, athletes older than 40 could keep competing.
Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian soldiers fought in a Ukrainian city recently. The hockey event began with the moment of silence for the victims. A Russian flag hung next to a Ukrainian flag.
Difficult words: former (ex-), league (a group of sports players), troop (soldier).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you play ice hockey?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.