Vladimir Putin plays ice hockey – level 3
Russian President Vladimir Putin has played in an ice hockey game in Sochi.
The Russian President also took part in a moment of silence before the game for those who died a day earlier in violence in the eastern Ukrainian city of Mariupol.
Players in the Night Hockey League game included amateurs like Putin along with former professional athletes.
The League was created by Putin in 2011 to keep athletes competing after they’ve reached the age of 40. Russian television showed footage of Putin scoring a goal and the crowd cheering. The President spoke to journalists after the game.
“We don’t have winners and losers. It’s a friendly game. It’s a show and all of us enjoyed it.”
Inside the stadium, a Russian flag hung next to a Ukrainian flag. Russian news reported that the event began with a moment of silence for victims of the violence in Mariupol, where Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian soldiers fought in a police station in the port city.
Difficult words: troop (soldier).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos