Volcano erupts near Tonga – level 1
A volcano erupts near the Tonga Islands on Saturday. An earthquake from the volcano makes big waves. Authorities warn people in several islands in the South Pacific.
People must be careful. It is not safe to go to the beach. Authorities take people to safe places from several villages.
Big waves can be dangerous. Big waves are in places like Japan, Fiji, or Hawaii. Authorities in Japan say that the waves can be three meters high.
Tonga is 65 kilometers from the volcano. Gray powder from the volcano falls on the streets and buildings. People stay without electricity and Internet for some time. People in the US can hear the volcano erupt.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.