Volcano erupts near Tonga – level 2
A volcano erupted near the Tonga Islands on Saturday. The earthquake caused high waves, and authorities issued a tsunami warning in several South Pacific islands.
Officials asked people to leave the areas near beaches because there were dangerous waves and the water had strong currents or movements. They later canceled the warnings, but people in Hawaii were still in danger. High waves hit the south of Japan, and officials warned that waves could be three meters high.
The capital of Tonga was just 65 kilometers from the volcano, and ash covered the streets and buildings of the city. For a short time, there was no electricity, and phone lines and Internet did not work. People as far as the US heard the volcano erupt.
Difficult words: erupt (to explode), issue a tsunami warning (to officially warn people that high waves are coming, and people must go to a safe place), ash (a gray powder which comes after something burns).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.