Volkswagen in trouble – level 2
Volkswagen is in trouble, and it could soon have to pay up to 18 billion dollars. Volkswagen skirted American clean air laws.
Volkswagen installed a special piece of software into its diesel cars. In the USA, there are around 500,000 of these cars which have this software. This software is not on when you drive normally. It is on when the car is undergoing an emissions test. When the test happens, the emissions look low.
This, however, is a lie. The emissions of nitrogen oxide (NO) are 40 times worse than they should be.
Difficult words: skirt (to avoid following a law), undergo (when something like a test or an operation is done to you, you undergo it), emission (the smoke which comes out of cars).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what Volkswagen did?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.