War crime arrest for Putin – level 2
On Friday, the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued an arrest warrant against Russian President Vladimir Putin. It means that if Putin enters one of the 123 member countries of the ICC, the police must arrest him.
Neither Ukraine nor Russia are members of the ICC, but Ukraine said that it would also arrest Putin if he entered the country. The ICC has no police, so it is up to the member countries if they arrest someone or not.
The ICC said that since the start of the war in February 2022, Russia took hundreds of children from Ukrainian orphanages and children’s homes, and gave up these children for adoption. The ICC said that it was a war crime.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact could the arrest warrant issued by the ICC against Putin have on the war between Ukraine and Russia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.