Warm World – level 1
The world is getting warmer. Two recent studies prove it. Scientists start to measure the world’s temperature in 1880. The hottest year is 2016. The second hottest year is 2019.
Scientists say that there is a lot of heat in the oceans. This is a big problem. Sea levels are going up.
Scientists also say that every 10 years is warmer than the last 10 years. The temperature in 2019 is 1.7 degrees warmer than the average temperature in the last 100 years.
Scientists believe that mainly people make these problems. People make very many chemicals. They are dangerous for the world’s atmosphere and oceans.
Difficult words: prove (to show evidence that something is true), sea level (how high the water is in the ocean), average (the normal number, the number that we get when we add up total amounts and divide that number by the number of amounts), atmosphere (the area around the planet where our air is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.