Weapons Against Hurricanes – level 1
People have a funny idea in the 1950s. They start thinking about if nuclear weapons can stop bad storms or hurricanes. People still have this idea now! A government organization says that many people ask about this.
The organization says that only some storms become hurricanes. Most storms stay storms. Also, nuclear weapons make radioactive fallout when they explode. This is very bad for the environment and people.
Recently, a news organization says that President Trump asks about this idea. He wants to know if the government can use nuclear weapons on a hurricane. However, he says that this not true.
Difficult words: nuclear weapons (very strong weapons to make big explosions from nuclear energy – nuclear energy comes from very tiny things going apart and coming together), radioactive fallout (the dangerous things that come out after a nuclear weapon explodes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.