Wedding ring history – level 1
People usually wear a ring if they get engaged or married. This tradition is from old Egypt. For people in Egypt, a ring shows eternity. Eternity is time without an end. A ring also has no beginning and no end. It is like time.
Egyptians also believe in the vein of love. This vein is in the fourth finger in the left hand. People wear a wedding ring on this finger.
Later, wedding rings traditions go to Greece and Rome. In old Rome, a ring means shows that a woman belongs to a man. During World War II, men give women a ring before they go to war.
Since the 1950s, diamond rings are popular. A diamond company has a slogan. The slogan says that diamonds are forever. For many people, the diamond ring shows that their love is forever.
Difficult words: tradition (something that many people do for a long time), vein (a body part where blood moves in the body), slogan (some words or a sentence which people easily remember).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos