Whales in Calais – level 2
In the French region of Calais, ten pilot whales beached themselves. Rescue teams came but when they arrived, four of the animals were already dead.
Fire crews sprayed the animals with water. One of the whales died while the rescuers tried to save it. Three whales returned to the sea.
People think that the dominant male and female died at sea, and then all of the group then drifted to shore.
Difficult words: beach (when an a sea animal gets stuck on a beach), rescue (to save), dominant (leading, strong), drift (to be carried by water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news about the whales?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.