Winnie Madikizela-Mandela Dies – level 1
In South Africa, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela fights against apartheid. She is the wife of Nelson Mandela for some time. He also fights against apartheid.
She dies on April 2nd. The leaders bury her as a national hero. Thousands of people come to her funeral to say goodbye.
One woman says that South Africans are mourning the death of their ‘mother’. She also says that they are celebrating her life. She adds that Mandela is now with all of her people.
Difficult words: apartheid (a South African law that lasts until the 1990s and gives Africans less rights), national hero (when the leaders of a country say someone did something very important for the country), mourn (show your feelings about someone who dies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.